Monday, February 18, 2008

The Worst and The Best

These past two weeks have been some of the worst and best of my entire life. Two weeks ago, we got a call that my grandma in Boise was very sick and was admitted to the hospital. My mom and dad were able to fly to Boise to be with her and my grandpa. We weren't able to come down until later, as the roads between Lewiston and Boise were extremely dangerous.

As I was taken back into the intensive care unit to see my grandma, I have to admit I was afraid. I was afraid of seeing her again in the hospital and I wondered if I could lose her. It was intimidating to see her hooked up to so many machines, but she was awake and communicated to me through squeezing my hand and nodding.

I remained very optimistic despite the prognosis. Perry, Savannah, Casey, Heather and I stayed until Tuesday and then came back to Lewiston. That also happened to be the day I lost my grandma. I'm a little selfish sometimes--I want her here with me. But, I know I will see her again and I will be doing her temple work for her as soon as possible.

We came back to Boise on Friday of last week to attend my grandma's funeral. It was at this funeral, on Saturday, that the loss of my grandma finally sunk in. I will miss the woman, who next to my mother and my husband, knew the most about about me. I will miss her smile, her laugh, her optimism, her teachings, her handwriting, and our talks every week. She truly is the epitome of love, patience, loyalty, kindness, thoughtfulness, integrity and optimism. I will strive everyday to be like her and honor her memory.

Now, you're probably wondering why I said these past two weeks have been the worst and the best of my life. Well, there was a little ray of sunshine in our family last Friday night. My sister Jess became engaged to Derek! He asked Perry and Casey to help him spell out "Jess, will you marry me?" on a Scrabble board and got everyone to "play a game" that night. We were all so excited to be a part of the surprise and hear her say "yes!". They're thinking about getting married in May, but haven't really started the planning yet.

Well, I think I'm finished updating for now. I'm feel as though I needed to write what I did in order to help my heart a little bit. Life must, inevitably, go on. I know it's going to be difficult for our family for quite some time. Though, I am so grateful for the knowledge I have about the gospel and eternal families. I will always grieve, but I know I will see my grandma again. That knowledge will help me a little bit everyday. Love, as always, to all!

1 comment:

Marci said...

Shannon, after your last post, we're all wondering what you ended up getting for Perry for Valentines!!

A Family Picture!